RULES OF THE ROAD
THE SPEED LIMIT ON THE R355 IS 80KM/H
There have been deaths on the R355, and many head-on collisions. Please drive cautiously. If you drive badly, it will end badly.
THESE ARE THE RULES OF THE ROAD:
01 No overtaking when you can’t see ahead. EVER.
02 Plan ahead to leave at a good time (Sunday morning 8am –10am is not a good time).
03 Look for alternative scenic routes home (Calvinia, Koue Bokkeveld, etc.).
04 Getting home WILL take you all day. Slow down and enjoy the ride. Make use of the Rest Area stops to pull over and take a rest.
05 Do NOT party ‘til the Sunday and leave straight away to beat the traffic. We all share the road and need to get home safe.
If you can’t see ahead, slow down. This isn’t Days of Thunder. Holding your line and driving through dust is not the answer.
• Rather slow down to 10km/h and stick as left as possible. DON’T stop completely as there are cars behind you that also can’t see.
• Some people do travel REALLY slowly, this may be because they’re on their last spare tyre filled with tyre-weld.
• If you’re one of those people travelling at 20km/h, pull off the road (at rest stops if possible) every now and then to let everyone pass.
• Support both roadside stores located on the R355 – Tanwka Padstal, and Halfway House. Stop off, relax and let some of the traffic pass you by.
• If you need to stop to change a tyre or whatever, make sure you’re 100% off the road.
• Be lekker. Treat people how you would like them to treat you. We’re all in this thing together and all want to get there & back in one piece.
Thanks to Braai Bliksem for these tips!
Read all about his horrific accident on the blog CLICK HERE