PLANES, DRONES & AIRCRAFTS
There will NOT be an airport at the new venue for Afrikaburn 2022. But there are other options available at neighbouring farms. Transport will also have to be arranged to the new venue.
GENERAL AVIATION AND CHARTER PILOTS YOU CAN FLY TO THESE REGISTERED AIRPORTS:
- Skoorsteenberg Airport
Contact: Nana Stallborn [] 082 699 9749
- You will need to arrange a lift from airport to Afrikaburn
- It has a cross runway
- ROAD ROUTE: https://goo.gl/maps/dgYQZ2Lv5Q3C419XA
- ROAD CONDITION: its 30 km from airstrip to Afrikaburn gate – took us 23 minutes in Golf Polo.
AIRSTRIP COORDINATES (approx.) :
Centre point: 32⁰27’24.37S 19⁰54’46.
RW 36 32⁰37’42.16S/19⁰54’44.73E
- Tankwa Tented Camp (the old venue airport).
Contact: Henk can arrange transport to the venue: []
- Its approx. 45 minute drive with 4 x 4 on shorter route (essential due to rain damage) or 1.25 hour with normal car on longer route via R355.
- TTC is offering a shuttle service to Afrikaburn for R750 one way)
- ROUTE: https://goo.gl/maps/fqTU6Ct9K2cLpE1z6
- ROAD CONDITION : Need 4x4 for the shorter route through Tankwa National Park, or otherwise use R355 route to get to the event.
AIRSTRIP COORDINATES :
PLEASE NOTE: AT THE EVENT we will have a helipad for emergency evacuations only.
FLYING TO EVENT AS PASSENGER? WANT TO HIRE A PLANE?
Please contact one of the following charter companies for more information:
Lesego : []
For more information, please follow the Afrikaburn Airpace Facebook page.
There will be no skydiving.
Please don’t jump out of any moving vehicle or plane into the event. There are too many hazards, fixed, moving and burning for your own well being.
If people are wanting to arrange skydiving for 2023, we will need an operator to step forward that is able to get the necessary CAA permissions and permits to jump at an event.
FLYING OVER THE EVENT
The new venue borders the Tankwa Karoo National Park. Pilots wanting to fly over the event need to be aware of the following restrictions and plan a flight path accordingly.
No flying under 2500ft in a national park or else risk a fine of R5 million rand or 5 years imprisonment.
Please refer to sections 47 and 89 FROM THE NATIONAL ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT: PROTECTED AREAS ACT 57 OF 2003 1.
Besides being an invasion of privacy, drones are also not allowed to be flown close to an active airstrip.
With this in mind, and because of Civil Aviation Authority regulations, RECREATIONAL DRONES ARE NOT PERMITTED AT AFRIKABURN.
There are Four reasons we don't allow drones:
1. Its illegal to fly a drone in proximity to people.
2. Its dangerous
3. Its an invasion of privacy - they would have to get CONSENT(permission) from EVERYONE on the playa or anyone sitting on a throne before filming.
4. We lie in a buffer zone for a national park and drones are prohibited due to the risk of poaching, as well as animal and visitors disturbance.
QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS?
Great, email us at email@example.com