PLANES, DRONES & AIRCRAFTS
- NO DRONES are allowed at Afrikaburn. Please leave them at home
- NO FLYING BELOW 3000 ft agl over the event. If you are doing scenic tours make sure you are aware of other aircraft activities.
- NO HELICOPTERS CAN LAND at the event
FLYING IN. Can I fly to Afrikaburn 2023? Nope! See Plan B.
Despite our best endeavours the airstrip will not be ready for the event this year. After considering the human and logistical input that would be required to allow helicopters to land at the event (within the operations and larger Afrikaburn team), it is not in the best interest to do this for the Afrikaburn community at this time. So helicopters are NOT allowed to land at the event.
PLAN B: Airstrip is not completed
General aviation and charter organisations will be able to fly to neighbouring airstrips located at Skoorsteenberg and Tankwa Tented Camp.
Here are the airport details:
- Skoorsteenberg Airport
Contact: Email [Stallborn] or Cell # 082 699 9749
- You will need to arrange a lift from the airport to AfrikaBurn
- It has a cross runway
- ROAD ROUTE: https://goo.gl/maps/dgYQZ2Lv5Q3C419XA
- ROAD CONDITION: its 30 km from airstrip to AfrikaBurn gate – took us 23 minutes in Golf Polo.
AIRSTRIP COORDINATES (approx.) :
Centre point: 32⁰27’24.37S 19⁰54’46.
RW 36 32⁰37’42.16S/19⁰54’44.73E
RW 27 32⁰37’27.83S/19⁰55’5.98E
RW 6 32⁰37’21.71S/19⁰54’28.51E
RW 18 32⁰37’13.71S/19⁰54’45.91E
- Tankwa Tented Camp (the old venue airport).
Contact: Send an e-mail to [] who can arrange transport to the venue:
- It's approx. a 45-minute drive with 4 x 4 on shorter route (essential due to rain damage) or 1.25 hour with normal car on longer route via R355.
- TTC is offering a shuttle service to AfrikaBurn
- ROUTE: https://goo.gl/maps/fqTU6Ct9K2cLpE1z6
- ROAD CONDITION: Need 4x4 for the shorter route through Tankwa National Park, or otherwise use R355 route to get to the event.
AIRSTRIP COORDINATES: 32°20.055'S 019°45.208'E
PLEASE NOTE: AT THE EVENT we will have a helipad for emergency evacuations only.
Do not land at Tankwa National Park, the airstrip has been decommissioned.
FLYING TO THE EVENT AS A PASSENGER? WANT TO HIRE A PLANE?
Charter companies will have to contact one of the airstrips and arrange landing there as well as a shuttle to the gate.
Currently only one company plans to fly in 'passengers". Please contact Hennie@capeairsafaris.co.za to find out more. (Afrikaburn accepts no responsibility or liability for use of this service).
For more information, please follow the Afrikaburn Airspace Facebook page.
VOLUNTEER AT AIRSPACE
We require the help of a number of participants to run, build and plan the airport for 2024.
WE WILL BE HOSTING A PLANNING MEETING ON FRIDAY AND STARDAY around 12ish at DMV and we will go visit the site. We need to place terminal, parking aprons, Air traffic control tower and more. You can all haveyour say.
It is also possible to get involved year-round (remote or local) or join a meeting at the event to plan for 2024.
If you want to start getting involved now, we are looking for people with the following skills. Please email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Information Wrangler - maintain websites, coordination with COs, Quicket, data collection, analysis and sharing
- Volunteer and media support - recruit, motivate, schedule, brief and thank
- Ticketing – Box Office coordination.
- Technical support, test our equipment pre-event, fix if needed, infrastructure installation – internet, power, cameras at event.
- Camp supervisor – arrange and coordinate camping etc and participants
- Art/Graphic Designer – design logo and t-shirt, images etc for pimping camp, assist in preparing paperwork and documentation for website.
- Industrial designer/builder – Need to design luggage cart and ‘box’ for airband radio/ builder to build luggage cart and box for airband radio.
PARACHUTING AND SKYDIVING INTO AFRIKABURN
There will be no skydiving in 2023. No falling sausages are allowed at the event this year.
Afrikaburn is a radical, participation based event. Our previous skydiver that used to arrange jumps before has now left the country.
So if you want to jump at future burns, you will need to find a South African registered skydiving operation that is prepared to voluntarily operate the activity. They will need to register with Afrikaburn Airspace and then register a drop zone with the Civil Aviation Authorities (CAA), after consultation with Airspace and the Afrikaburn organisation. We will assist in creating suitable drop zones and securing them during the event.
DRONES - No drones are allowed at AfrikaBurn
Besides being an invasion of privacy, drones are also not allowed to be flown close to an active airstrip.
With this in mind, and because of Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) regulations, RECREATIONAL DRONES ARE NOT PERMITTED AT AFRIKABURN.
There are four reasons we don't allow drones:
1. It's illegal to fly a drone in proximity to people.
2. It's dangerous.
3. It's an invasion of privacy - they would have to get CONSENT (permission) from EVERYONE on the Binnekring or anyone sitting on a Throne before filming.
4. We lie in a buffer zone for a national park and drones are prohibited due to the risk of poaching, as well as animal and visitors disturbance.
FLYING OVER THE EVENT
No flying below 3,000 feet over the event site during the event. We will be monitoring airspace activity and any planes, ufos or helicopters flying too low will be reported to CAA.
The new venue borders the Tankwa Karoo National Park. Pilots wanting to fly over the event need to be aware of the following restrictions and plan a flight path accordingly.
No flying under 2,500ft in a national park or else risk a fine of R5 million rand or 5 years imprisonment.
Please refer to sections 47 and 89 FROM THE NATIONAL ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT: PROTECTED AREAS ACT 57 OF 2003 1.
QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS?
Email us at email@example.com