PLANES, DRONES & AIRCRAFTS
Can I fly to Afrikaburn 2023? NOPE plan B it is.
Despite our best endeavours the airstrip will not be ready for the event this year. After consideration of human and logistical input required to allow helicopters to land at the event with operations and larger Afrikaburn team , it is not in best interest for the Afrikaburn community. So helicopters can NOT land at the event.
BTW NO DRONES are allowed at AfrikaBurn. Please leave them at home.
PLAN B: Airstrip is not completed
The airstrip is not finished in time. General aviation and charter organisations will be able to fly to neighbouring airstrips located at Skoorsteenberg and Tankwa Tented Camp.
Here are the airport details:
- Skoorsteenberg Airport
Contact: Email [Stallborn] or Cell # 082 699 9749
- You will need to arrange a lift from the airport to AfrikaBurn
- It has a cross runway
- ROAD ROUTE: https://goo.gl/maps/dgYQZ2Lv5Q3C419XA
- ROAD CONDITION: its 30 km from airstrip to AfrikaBurn gate – took us 23 minutes in Golf Polo.
AIRSTRIP COORDINATES (approx.) :
Centre point: 32⁰27’24.37S 19⁰54’46.
RW 36 32⁰37’42.16S/19⁰54’44.73E
RW 27 32⁰37’27.83S/19⁰55’5.98E
RW 6 32⁰37’21.71S/19⁰54’28.51E
RW 18 32⁰37’13.71S/19⁰54’45.91E
- Tankwa Tented Camp (the old venue airport).
Contact: Send an e-mail to [] who can arrange transport to the venue:
- It's approx. a 45-minute drive with 4 x 4 on shorter route (essential due to rain damage) or 1.25 hour with normal car on longer route via R355.
- TTC is offering a shuttle service to AfrikaBurn
- ROUTE: https://goo.gl/maps/fqTU6Ct9K2cLpE1z6
- ROAD CONDITION: Need 4x4 for the shorter route through Tankwa National Park, or otherwise use R355 route to get to the event.
AIRSTRIP COORDINATES: 32°20.055'S 019°45.208'E
PLEASE NOTE: AT THE EVENT we will have a helipad for emergency evacuations only.
Do not land at Tankwa National Park, the airstrip has been decommissioned.
WANT TO FLY OVER EVENT?
Do not fly below 3000ft agl over the event. We will be monitoring airspace activity and any planes, ufos or helicopters flying too low will be reported to CAA.
FLYING TO EVENT AS PASSENGER? WANT TO HIRE A PLANE? WANT TO FLY A PLANE?
Charter companies will have to contact one of the airstrips and arrange landing there and a shuttle to the gate. Currently only one company plans to fly in 'passengers". Please contact Hennie@capeairsafaris.co.za to find out more. (Afrikaburn accepts no responsibility or liability for use of this service).
For more information, please follow the Afrikaburn Airspace Facebook page.
VOLUNTEER AT AIRSPACE
- We require the help of a number of participants to run, build and plan the airport for 2024.
- It is also possible to get involved year-round (remote or local) or
join a meeting at the event to plan for 2024.
If you want to start getting involved now, we are looking for people with the following skills. Please email email@example.com
- Information Wrangler - maintain websites, coordination with COs, Quicket, data collection, analysis and sharing
- Volunteer and media support - recruit, motivate, schedule, brief and thank
- Ticketing – Box Office coordination.
- Technical support, test our equipment pre-event, fix if needed, infrastructure installation – internet, power, cameras at event.
- Camp supervisor – arrange and coordinate camping etc and participants
- Art/Graphic Designer – design logo and t-shirt for 2023, images etc for pimping camp, assist in preparing paperwork and documentation for website.
- Industrial designer/builder – Need to design luggage cart and ‘box’ for airband radio/ builder to build luggage cart and box for airband radio.
PARACHUTING IN TO AFRIKABURN
No falling sausages are allowed at the event this year. Afrikaburn is radical, participation based event. Our previous skydiver that arranged jumps before has left the country. So if you want to jump at future burns....
you want to jump at future burns...
You need to find a South African skydiving operation that is prepared to voluntarily operate the activity. They will need to register with Afrikaburn airspace and then register a drop zone with Civil Aviation Authorities, after consultation with airspace and Afrikaburn organisation as to where and when.
DRONES - No drones allowed at AfrikaBurn
Besides being an invasion of privacy, drones are also not allowed to be flown close to an active airstrip.
With this in mind, and because of Civil Aviation Authority regulations, RECREATIONAL DRONES ARE NOT PERMITTED AT AFRIKABURN.
There are Four reasons we don't allow drones:
1. It's illegal to fly a drone in proximity to people.
2. It's dangerous
3. It's an invasion of privacy - they would have to get CONSENT (permission) from EVERYONE on the Binnekring or anyone sitting on a Throne before filming.
4. We lie in a buffer zone for a national park and drones are prohibited due to the risk of poaching, as well as animal and visitors disturbance.
There will be no skydiving.
Please don’t jump out of any moving vehicle or plane into the event. There are too many hazards, fixed, moving and burning for your own well-being.
If people are wanting to arrange skydiving for future events, we need a South African registered operator to step forward that is able to get the necessary CAA permissions and permits to jump at an event. We will assist in creating suitable drop zones and securing them during activities.
FLYING OVER THE EVENT
- No flying below 3000 feet over the event site during the event.
The new venue borders the Tankwa Karoo National Park. Pilots wanting to fly over the event need to be aware of the following restrictions and plan a flight path accordingly.
No flying under 2500ft in a national park or else risk a fine of R5 million rand or 5 years imprisonment.
Please refer to sections 47 and 89 FROM THE NATIONAL ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT: PROTECTED AREAS ACT 57 OF 2003 1.
QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS?
Great, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org