LEAVE NO TRACE
OUR EVENT TAKES PLACE WITHIN A PRIVATE NATURE RESERVE – THIS MEANS THAT ANYTHING NOT ALREADY FOUND THERE IS MOOP, OR "MATTER OUT OF PLACE".
IN OTHER WORDS, EVERYTHING BROUGHT TO TANKWA TOWN IS POTENTIAL MOOP:
Cigarette "stompies" (butts), glow sticks and glow stick connectors, tent stakes, bottle caps, ashes (yup!), duct tape scraps, wood debris, matchsticks, orange peels, pistachio shells, boa feathers, rope fibres, sequins, false eyelashes – even abandoned bikes…oh, and did we mention the stompies (cigarette butts) and cable ties?
MOOP also includes natural materials. They are not OK to leave in the desert – in the desert, things take ages to decompose.
Hay, seashells, pretty rocks that you have brought from elsewhere, plant matter, fruit peels, vegetable peels, nut shells, feathers, coffee grounds, etc. are all things that must be removed.
****---- LEAVE IT AS YOU FOUND IT. ----****
There is no rubbish collection at Tankwa Town. Everything you bring in, you must take back with you: Every. Single. Thing. If it came with you, it leaves with you.
Before you head to the desert:
• Remove excess packaging from everything (and recycle it at home) – store food in re-usable, air-tight containers.
• Don’t bring glass - buy cans or decant into plastic (crush those cans and plastic).
• Don’t pack your feather boa, glitter, confetti or Styrofoam of any kind.
• Don’t pack flying lanterns, flares or fireworks.
• Don’t bring too much fresh produce – if you don’t eat it, you’ll have to cart rotting food home. Not lekker.
WANT TO STAY BEHIND AFTER THE CROWDS HAVE GONE? YOU COULD ALWAYS JOIN OUR LEAVE NO TRACE VOLUNTEERS:
Our Leave No Trace team are a dedicated bunch volunteers who stay in Tankwa Town for about 3 weeks after the event to restore the desert to its previous beauty, record the MOOP that was found and produce a MOOP Map.
If you would like to sign up as a volunteer of LNT, go to the Volunteer Booth at Off Centre Camp for more info - everyone is welcome!